I hit a snag the other day. My main goal so far has been to find a job I can do in the comfort of my own parent's home, or at least go to a job where I can take my son. With with career, I wanted to find something where I could incorporate my writing, blogging to be exact. So a work at home or telecommuting career where I can write. It sounded good to me. So as the search for my ideal career began, it didn't hit me that my choice was very broad, and therefore resulted in nothing. When I typed in "writing" in Louisville, Ky, the only option that was brought to my attention was a website called Examiner. It was the same as a lot of blog sites. Very categorized. Lifestyle, politics, fashion. You have to have a good knowledge about a particular category. There's no category for "What I did today." The Examiner was out.
I've tried countless of other sites, and nothing seemed to be what I needed. I was beginning to think maybe my passion for writing was and is just a hobby. Then I told myself "There are many careers where you can write. It might not be the writing you want to do, but it could still be putting the pen to paper or fingers to keyboard." I began my search once more. The results were a little clearer, but in true fashion, I was either in the wrong location, or my Associate's was not good enough.
I prayed about it, and all I heard was, "Keep doing what you're doing, and it'll come." I've been writing three blogs, and updating Twitter for a while. In total I have three followers. Not that I'm complaining, I love the thought that someone is reading my thoughts-on computer that is. Though I will continue to write my blogs and updating Twitter, I'm taking it a step further. I am reaching out for help. I came across a flyer for a local job search site where they can assist people in need of help finding a job. I still want to write, but I believe at this point I have to think realistically. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have their dream job, and it seems as though I might be among that majority that doesn't love their job.
I told Jeff the other day that there have been two jobs that I've worked for longer than a year, and both of those jobs my mother has found and or have gotten me. The very first job I had was a bagger at Winn Dixie. Though I wanted to quit on my first day, I struggled through two years before leaving. When my job at the Sweet Factory ended due to the closing of the business, my mother had gotten me an interview with someone she worked with at U of L. I didn't like working for the students, yet I was there for two years. All of the other jobs I had found I wasn't there for very long, just a few months.
So I am reaching out for help from a complete stranger. This is crunch time, and though we are in a tough economy and I should not be picky when it comes to earning an income, I can not help but choose carefully. I hope that my next job will turn into a long lasting career. I might not love it, but I'd rather be confortable at it.
No comments:
Post a Comment