Saturday, June 4, 2011

I didn't know I was such an artist

Writing a resume is like painting a picture. Better yet, like the painting of Georges-Pierre Seurat's , A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.

If you studied the painting, or just know what makes it so special, then you know that if you look at the painting practically with your nose pressed against it, you'll see that the iconic painting is made up of tiny dots.  

That's what I think of when it comes to writing resumes. Everything has to be so carefully detailed and structured so that when potential employers glance at it, they'll see what they like, and want to study it. The result is an interview. And at the interview, you are the painter who better darn well know and explain how you painted your resume. But you go the extra mile when the person who is conducting the interview asks you the standard questions like what are your strengths, weakness, and why should you be consider for the job over other applicants. Some kids (and adults) have trouble coloring within the lines, and at the interview, you dare not to cross those lines. Your resume can not be a work of neoimpressionism, such as Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon, and your interview is a work of post-impressionism. They both have to be a inside the lines.

Standard resumes are usually comprised of the same components-name, address, phone number, email, educational background, objective, then the names of the job titles, location of employment, dates of employment, description of the job, and last references. Sounds simple, right? If only. Assuming the person meets all of the requirements of the job from the particular job listing, it's all about how the resume was painted. Sloppy resumes get tossed into the trashed, while well structured resumes gain interest.

I am no resume writing expert by any means. If I were, I'd have a job by now, making money, reaching that goal of moving out of my parents house. This is only from my experiences and what I've read in books and online articles. I always felt my resume were passable, but after reading Leslie Truex's  The Work at Home Success Bible, I felt like an amateur when reading her tips about resumes. Use active words when describing education and experience, and don't use too many adjectives and adverbs. She also had a tip about sending a resume through email, and once I read it, I realized this was probably a big reason why I don't recieve phone calls to come in for a interview. Don't send the resume as an attachment, only as text. It just never occured to me to do that. I suppose I found it was the quickest way to let the potential employer know that I am interested in the position, then go on to the next job listing.

After reading her tips and advice on resume and cover letter building, I started over from scratch. I first wrote down on paper every single job I've had, including volunteer jobs. I went into more detail in the job description. I did something I have not done whenever I wrote my resume-I took my time. Employers don't want you rushing your work (unless it's called for it), so why rush writing your resume? Would you want someone to rush when preparing your food at an upscale restaurant? No, you'd want them to take their time, but still finish it in a timely manner. I want my steak cooked, not tossed into the microwave and called gourmet.

My hurdle now is how to paint my resume as someone who wishes to have a telecommuting job, preferably in the writing field. That is where my resume research digs a bit deeper, and I am confident that I will paint a resume worth looking at and discussed. However, painting a beautiful resume may not be enough. The painting of the resume will always stick to paper, but it's the painter who brings it to life.




No comments:

Post a Comment