Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Why Don't You Just Blacklist Me?

Doing this Superlady thing is hard. But then again, how hard is it to do something ordinary that in turn is super? Being a mother to a two month old and trying to find a job, better yet a work at home job, is super. How is that super, you may ask? Because I'm wanting to work. Notice how I didn't say "needing to work." I love being in the comfort of my own home, where I can have sick days (which are extremely rare), but still have work to do. However, it's disheartening when I find job oppertunities, that applies to me in every single way, and I submit my resume or go fill out an application, and then nothing. I hear nothing for days, weeks. Or worst, I get the email that starts to build your hopes up for the first few words or sentences, then it hits you like a huge snowball thrown right in your face by the neighborhood bully on a snow day. "We regret to inform you, we've decided to pursue other candidates." Here's an actual email I recieved this morning from a job oppertunity that I sent my resume to a few weeks ago-
               Dear Charice:

      Thank you for your interest in employment with (name not shared). After careful consideration of your application, we regret to inform you that our search for the Human Resources Administrative Assistant - PART TIME position has been narrowed to other candidates.
However, we would like to see you find a new career in our region, so please visit our local career partner, (site not shared), to find other open jobs in the area.
We will retain your resume in our database and inform you of any future jobs matching your resume.
We thank you for your interest in (name not shared) and wish you all the best in your career.
Sincerely,
(name not shared)   

I can't or even have the energy to count how many emails I recieved saying "thanks but no thanks." In addition to your insensitive sensitivity, tell me why I'm being passed up for this job. Am I under qualified? Over qualified? Did you call my previous employers and they told you I'm not someone to be considered for the position? Did you look at my Facebook profile (which I sometimes don't think that should be a factor, but more on that later) and see something you didn't like? Did I not bribe you like the other candidates (can't say for certain if that happens)? Don't refer me to a site that will help with my resume. Be considerate and tell me what I did wrong so that I may change it and be prepared for the next job oppertunity I send my resume or fill out a job application for. Even if I wasn't the only one who applied for the job, and you don't have the time or paitience to go into detail why I was passed over, just give me one word, like "Over qualified." Or even a couple of words like "No experince," "Position taken." That way I can take a hint and move on to work on getting experience or applying for jobs that I am qualified for.
At this point, I think why do I even bother? My index and middle fingers are aching from crossing them and saying, "here goes nothing." Yes this may seem like "half glass empty" thinking, but "high" is no longer a direction for my hopes. There's a line in The Shawshank Redemption where an inmate is talking about his upcoming parole board hearing, and he jokes "I know how you feel, I'm up for rejection next week!" That's exactly how I feel when I put in an application, resume, or even if I get to second base, which is the interview. The news and media is telling America that jobs are out there and companies are hiring, but they don't tell you that you have to go above and beyond the ideal candidate. Maybe it'd be easier if I was blacklisted, or blackballed. That way I wouldn't have to waste my time being rejected.

No comments:

Post a Comment